CASE: Metastatic Melanoma
Charles, a 62-year-old Caucasian landscaper, presented to his primary care physician with fatigue, dyspnea upon exertion, and a nonproductive cough that has lasted for 6 to 8 weeks. .
- Following a medical examination, a suspicious mole was biopsied, which resulted in a diagnosis of melanoma.
- Genetic testing revealed aBRAFV600K mutation
- PET/CT scan shows metastases to the lung and a soft tissue nodule in the liver (1.4 cm x 1.1 cm)
- LDH levels and liver function test results were normal
- The patient’s ECOG performance status was 1
Treatment was initiated with the combination of BRAF and MEK inhibitors.