Expert Discusses Results of Analysis on Genomic Testing in mCRPC

October 7, 2020

Neal D. Shore, MD, FACS, discusses the results of the retrospective review on real-world patterns of genomic testing in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer.

Neal D. Shore, MD, FACS, medical director and certified physician investigator at the Carolina Urologic Research Center, discusses the results of the retrospective review on real-world patterns of genomic testing in patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mCRPC).

Patients being seen in the community setting made up about 90% of the Flatiron database population used in this analysis, while the other 10% were in the academic setting. Shore and his colleagues looked at about 5000 patients over a several-year period. He says they found that the incidence of patients who were tested in 2013 came to 0% and raised to about 11% by 2018.

Other databases show that the likelihood of homologous recombination repair alteration is about 25% to 30%, which shows a discrepancy in the rate of testing to how many patients are likely to have this alteration, according to Shore. He and his colleagues broke down the most commonly tested gene alterations such as BRCA1/2, ATM, PALB2, FANCA, and CDK12.

This retrospective analysis of a large registry shows that physicians in this field need further education, especially since these alterations have 2 actionable PARP inhibitors approved as of this year, Shore explains.

<< View more resources and information regarding prostate cancer