Bishoy Faltas, MD, clinical fellow, Weill Cornell Medical College, discussesclonal heterogeneity in platinum-resistant metastatic urothelial cancer.
- This study found a significant degree of both inter- and intra-patient heterogeneity.
- There were differences in the patterns of evolution of molecular alterations in these samples.
- Subclonal mutations went on to be enriched in and constitute most mutations in metastatic samples.
- Mutations in primary samples were identified that were not enriched in metastatic samples.
- It was found that the metastatic samples continued to change even after evolving from the primary tumor samples.